This is not actually my own original recipe, I ‘borrowed’ it from Mr Rambles. I have had several requests for the recipe recently, so here it is, reproduced by kind permission. Thank you Mr R.
When Master Rambles was on his strict elimination diet he couldn’t enjoy Mr Rambles’ lemon sponge cake, so I changed it to a vanilla sponge and filled it with cream and the only fruit he was allowed, pears. It was an instant hit, and has now become our family’s favourite cake. For a special occasion, for a not so special occasion, or for when it just feels like a cake sort of day!
- Cream together 125g softened butter and 220g castor sugar with a teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Add 2 eggs to the mixture and beat
- Add 75g of self-raising flour and mix until smooth
- Add another 150g of self-raising flour and a pinch of baking powder
- Mix until smooth
- Pour in 125mls of milk and mix until smooth
- Divide into two lined 8″ cake tins and cook at 150C for about 40 mins (until a knife comes out clean)
- Carefully remove from tins and place on a cooling rack
- When the cakes are cool enough, add some whipped fresh cream to one half, and top with sliced pears. I use very ripe or tinned ones.
- Place the other half on top
- Enjoy. Goes down exceptionally well with a cup of tea!