A couple of years ago, Master Rambles was on a special elimination diet and the only fruit he was allowed to eat was pears. This humble fruit was tried, tested, and re-invented in many of our recipes. Pear and oat muffins were the most successful and proved popular with the whole family. They have also become a firm favourite with my fellow Thursday morning Stand Up Paddle group.
I have had a few requests for the recipe, so here it is, enjoy!
- Cream together 150g of softened butter and 80g of brown sugar with 1tsp of vanilla essence
- Add 100g of rolled oats and stir through
- Now add 225g of self-raising flour (I use wholemeal) with
2 beaten eggs and 3-4 pears (peeled and chopped into small chunks) and stir through
Note: extra/over ripe and juicy pears are best.
- Divide the mixture evenly between cases in a standard 12 hole muffin tray
- Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a little brown sugar
- Cook at 190C for about 25 minutes
- Check that they are crisp and nicely browned on top, then remove from tray and cool on a rack